Frost Farm began in 1910 when Carolyn (Carrie) Josephine Frost bought the property. Carrie Frost lived in Stevens Point and owned and operated the CJ Frost Fishing Tackle Company who produced fishing flies. Carrie started the business in 1896 and it grew employing up to 150 fly tiers by 1920. Carrie sold the business to her brother, George Washington Frost who had been her sales manager. George Washington Frost then began the GW Frost and Sons Tackle Company who were known for their motto:
“Fish Fight for Frost Flies”.
Carrie bought the property because of the mill ponds created by the grist mill on Hall’s Creek (now known as South Branch Wedde Creek). These ponds had an abundance of trout. Carrie built a cabin on the south shore of the ponds in 1911. Carrie designed the cabin with high ceilings in order to assemble fly rods while inside. Carrie spent much of her free time on the farm and raised raspberries and was one of the first (if not the first) in central Wisconsin to use irrigation. This water was pumped to the raspberry fields from the ponds. Many of the irrigation pipes are still present.
Carrie passed away October 6, 1937 and the farm was left to her nephew, George Frost. George was one of the sons in GW Frost and Sons. Carrie's cabin was maintained and the farm was a summer and weekend get away for the Frosts. Many stories remain of hunting the land and fishing in the ponds. The dam went out in an early spring flood in 1954 and the creek went back to its natural path.
In the late 1950's, George's son, Jack, started to raise mallard ducks on the farm. The farm was then called Frost Game Farm and later renamed Frost Waterfowl Trust. Jack raised mallard ducks for shooting preserves and to be released into the wild. One of the largest customers in the 1980's was the State of Maryland who released Frost mallard ducks into the wild. Jack and his wife Betty operated the farm and raised three children. Jack Jr., Sandy, and Trace grew up on the farm raising ducks and enjoying the land and the rich history.
Carrie's cabin was mostly unused during the late 1970's and early 1980's and began to fall into disrepair. In 1987 the cabin was repaired and preserved and it is frequently used to this day - much like
it had been since 1911.
Jack Frost passed away December 27, 1996. The duck farm was operated for several more years and then the business was moved to South Carolina where it is still in operation. Betty remained on the farm until 2016 when she moved to an assisted living facility when she needed more help. Betty passed away September 11, 2018 after living a life full of family, fun, and the farm.
Trace moved away from the farm in 1983 to begin a 33+ year career in law enforcement.
During the summer 2014, Trace and his wife Jean began to repair and remodel the existing farm buildings that were used to raise ducks. Jean began to have an interest in alpacas and after much effort the first alpaca arrived at the farm September of 2015. The alpaca are in barns and buildings that raised literally hundreds of thousands mallard ducks over the years.
Trace retired in April 2017 and moved back to the farm. There, Trace and Jean have 15 alpaca, two cattle dogs, and several laying hens.
Trace and Jean make maple syrup each spring made from the farm's maple trees. Many of which Jack Sr. planted in the early 1950's. The cooking process takes place at Carrie's cabin.
We would like to think that Carrie would be proud to know the farm she loved is still cherished by her family and being used to it's fullest.